UPVC windows are widely used and preferred by most people because it offers high thermal comfort as well as being extremely durable, long-lasting, and a great sound insulator. But even extremely durable products need proper cleaning to prevent damage and make them last longer.
UPVC windows require less maintenance compared to other windows but take into consideration that they are not free to some damages like discolouration. Looking outside your house through a dingy yellowish window could really be an eyesore to many.
To further maintain the great quality and aesthetic appearance of your UPVC windows, below are some tips and ways on how to clean UCPV windows.
CLEANING UPVC WINDOWS
Cleaning your UPVC windows doesn’t require a lot of work and materials. All you have to follow are these simple steps:
- Open the window, then clean it using a vacuum. Using a soft nozzle is more preferable to prevent scratches. Reach for the far edges including the hinges.
- Use soapy water and a soft cloth or sponge to wipe away the dirt on the window.
- After wiping the window, use a dry, clean, and non-abrasive cloth to dry and remove excess moisture on the window.
If you wish to have a shiny, crystal-clear window, mix 2 cups of water with 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup of liquid soap and lightly dip some old newspaper into the cleaning solution. Check if the newspaper is clean and free from bits of dirt and anything that can scratch the window. Wipe the windows using a circular motion to remove any smears and spots that have built-up on the glass.
CLEANING UPVC WINDOW SILLS
Cleaning the glass isn’t the whole work yet. If you want your windows and the view outside to look more aesthetic and pleasing, here are ways on how to make your UPVC window sills appear new and best-looking:
- Use a soft cloth or sponge and dip it in a bucket of warm soapy water, then wipe down the dirty frame.
- Dry the frame by using a soft, clean, dry, and non-abrasive cloth.
DON’TS WHEN CLEANING YOUR UPVC WINDOWS
UPVC windows, like any other products, are subject to sorts of mistreatments. These mistreatments may, later on, lead to irreparable damages to your windows. It is therefore important to know how to properly take care of your UPVC windows to avoid unwanted damages.
Things to avoid when cleaning UPVC windows:
- Avoid applying too much pressure on the glass while cleaning.
- Do not use scouring pads or hard brushes for they may cause permanent scratches to the glass.
- Avoid using paper towels when wiping or drying the glass.
- Never use bleach, as it’ll cause discolouration of the glass and the frame.
- Avoid using cellulose thinners-they melt plastics and will ruin your window in an instant.
Avoid using the following as well:
- Cif and Jif-type cream cleaners – they’re slightly abrasive
- Methylated spirits
- Nail varnish remover
- White spirits
- Wire wool or iron wool
The key to keeping your UPVC windows looking their best is continuous maintenance and cleaning. Take note of everything written above and your UPVC windows will surely last long and look new as always!